- The definition of implode is to collapse or burst inward.
- When a country suffers a sudden economic or political collapse, this is an example of when the country implodes.
- When a bomb goes off outside and a building collapses inward, this is an example of when it implodes.
A building implodes.
verbim·plod·ed, im·plod·ing, im·plodes
- To collapse inward violently.
- To undergo a catastrophic failure: His career imploded after he was caught lying on camera.
- To cause to collapse inward violently.
- To demolish (a building) by causing to collapse inward.
Origin of implodein–2 + (ex)plode.
(third-person singular simple present implodes, present participle imploding, simple past and past participle imploded)
in- + (ex)plode