snowball definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a mass of snow packed together into a ball
- ☆ any of various plants with snowball-like flowers; esp., a cultivated European cranberry bush (Viburnum opulus var. roseum) with spherical clusters of sterile, white or pinkish flowers
- to increase or accumulate rapidly and uncontrollably, like a ball of snow rolling downhill
- to throw snowballs
- to throw snowballs at
- to cause to increase or accumulate rapidly
snowball definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- a. A mass of soft, wet snow packed into a ball that can be thrown, as in play.b. Chiefly Southern U.S. A cup of crushed or shaved ice flavored with colored syrup.
- Any of several plants having rounded clusters of white flowers, as the guelder rose and certain species of the arrowwood.
- To grow rapidly in significance, importance, or size: problems that snowballed by the hour.
- To throw snowballs.
- To cause to grow or increase rapidly.
- To throw snowballs at.
snowball - Business Definition
To increase at an increasing rate: Negative press reports about the firm's financial condition snowballed following the resignation of the chief executive officer.