- a mass of snow packed together into a ball
- ☆ any of various plants with snowball-like flowers; esp., a cultivated European cranberry bush (Viburnum opulus var. roseum) with spherical clusters of sterile, white or pinkish flowers
- to increase or accumulate rapidly and uncontrollably, like a ball of snow rolling downhill
- to throw snowballs
- to throw snowballs at
- to cause to increase or accumulate rapidly
See snowball in American Heritage Dictionary 4
a. A mass of soft, wet snow packed into a ball that can be thrown, as in play.
b. Chiefly Southern U.S. A cup of crushed or shaved ice flavored with colored syrup.
- Any of several plants having rounded clusters of white flowers, as the guelder rose and certain species of the arrowwood.
, snow·balls verb, intransitive
- To grow rapidly in significance, importance, or size: problems that snowballed by the hour.
- To throw snowballs.
- To cause to grow or increase rapidly.
- To throw snowballs at.
Learn more about snowball