- The definition of a cocktail is a mix of different liquors and other liquids, or an appetizer, or a mixture of drugs.
- A vodka and orange juice drink called a screwdriver is an example of a cocktail.
- Shrimp served chilled with a spicy sauce is an example of a cocktail.
- A mix of different drugs and medications used to treat an illness is an example of a cocktail.
A variety of different cocktails.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- ☆ any of various alcoholic drinks made of a distilled liquor mixed as with wine, fruit juice, or soda water and usually iced
- ☆ an appetizer served at the beginning of a meal, as fruit juice, tomato juice, diced fruits, or seafood with a sharp sauce
- Med. a liquid medication consisting of a mixture of various substances, often including a drug
Origin: ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps
- a horse with a docked tail
- a horse of impure breed
Origin: ; from cock plush tail
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Any of various mixed alcoholic drinks consisting usually of brandy, whiskey, vodka, or gin combined with fruit juices or other liquors and often served chilled.
- Medicine a. A mixture of drugs, usually in solution, for the diagnosis or treatment of a condition.b. A treatment regimen that includes a combination of several drugs, so that their combined effect is more potent than that of any of the drugs used individually.
- An appetizer made by combining pieces of food, such as fruit or seafood: fruit cocktail; shrimp cocktail.
- Of or relating to cocktails: a cocktail glass; a cocktail party.
- Suitable for wear on semiformal occasions: a cocktail dress.
Origin: Origin unknown.
cocktail - Medical Definition
- A mixture of drugs, usually in solution, for the diagnosis or treatment of a condition.
- A treatment regimen that includes a combination of several drugs that enhances their individual potency.