- The definition of cryptic is defined as something with unclear or hidden meaning, or a secret.
- A coded message is an example of something cryptic.
- A letter written in invisible ink is an example of something cryptic.
cryptic definition by Webster's New World
- having a hidden or ambiguous meaning; mysterious; baffling: a cryptic comment
- obscure and curt in expression
- Zool. serving to conceal, as the form or coloring of certain animals
Origin: Late Latin crypticus ; from Classical Greek kryptikos ; from kryptos: see crypt
- cryptically adverb
cryptic definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Having hidden meaning; mystifying. See Synonyms at ambiguous.
- Secret or occult.
- Using code or cipher.
- Biology Tending to conceal or camouflage: cryptic coloring.
Origin: Late Latin crypticus, from Greek kruptikos, from kruptos, hidden, from kruptein, to hide.
- crypˈti·cal·ly adverb
- crypˈtic·ness noun
cryptic - Medical Definition
- Hidden or concealed.
- Tending to conceal or camouflage, as the coloring of an animal.