- The definition of cryptic is defined as something with unclear or hidden meaning, or a secret.
- A coded message is an example of something cryptic.
- A letter written in invisible ink is an example of something cryptic.
- having a hidden or ambiguous meaning; mysterious; baffling: a cryptic comment
- obscure and curt in expression
- Zool. serving to conceal, as the form or coloring of certain animals
Origin of crypticLate Latin crypticus ; from Classical Greek kryptikos ; from kryptos: see crypt
- Having hidden meaning; mystifying. See Synonyms at mysterious.
- Secret or occult.
- Using code or cipher.
- Biology Tending to conceal or camouflage: cryptic coloring.
Origin of crypticLate Latin crypticus, from Greek kruptikos, from kruptos, hidden, from kruptein, to hide.
(comparative more cryptic, superlative most cryptic)
- (informal) A cryptic crossword.
From Late Latin crypticus, from Ancient Greek κρυπτικός (kruptikos), from κρυπτός (kruptos, “hidden”), from κρύπτω (kruptō, “to hide”). Also see: cryptology.