- A pool of dirty water is an example of something that would be described as murky.
- An explanation for something that doesn't quite make sense and that may not be true is an example of a murky explanation.
The definition of murky is something that is dark, gloomy, or dirty, or something that is not clear and that might involve deception.
- dark or gloomy
- heavy and obscure with smoke, mist, etc.: the murky air of the city
- unclear, obscure, cryptic, etc.: the murky depths of Transcendentalism
Origin of murkyMiddle English mirky
- Dark or dim, as from mist: a murky sky. See Synonyms at dark.
- Darkened, clouded, or blurry: murky waters; murky images.
- Not clearly known, understood, or expressed: a murky future; the murky world of spies; murky writing.
(comparative murkier, superlative murkiest)
Cognate to or directly from Old Norse myrkr. Compare Russian, Serbian Ð¼Ñ€Ð°Ðº.