- The definition of luminous is giving off a very bright light or a person or trait considered glowing.
- An example of luminous is the sun.
- An example of luminous is the smile of a beautiful girl.
- giving off light; shining; bright
- filled with light; illuminated
- glowing in the dark, as paint with a phosphor in it
- clear; readily understood
- intellectually brilliant
Origin: Middle English from Classical Latin luminosus from lumen, light
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Emitting light, especially emitting self-generated light.
- Full of light; illuminated. See Synonyms at bright.
- a. Easily comprehended; clear: luminous prose.b. Enlightened and intelligent; inspiring: luminous ideas.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French lumineux, from Latin lūminōsus, from lūmen, lūmin-, light; see leuk- in Indo-European roots.
- luˈmi·nous·ly adverb
- luˈmi·nous·ness noun
luminous - Medical Definition