- An example of luminous is the sun.
- An example of luminous is the smile of a beautiful girl.
The definition of luminous is giving off a very bright light or a person or trait considered glowing.
- giving off light; shining; bright
- filled with light; illuminated
- glowing in the dark, as paint with a phosphor in it
- clear; readily understood
- intellectually brilliant
Origin of luminousMiddle English ; from Classical Latin luminosus ; from lumen, light
- a. Emitting light, especially in the dark; shining.b. Reflecting light; illuminated: “He watched a luminous cloud drifting up from the Gulf” (Tim Gautreaux). See Synonyms at bright.
- Having a high degree of saturation: a luminous green.
- a. Presented or perceived clearly or vividly: luminous memories.b. Enlightened or intelligent: luminous ideas.
Origin of luminousMiddle English, from Old French lumineux, from Latin l&umacron;min&omacron;sus, from l&umacron;men, l&umacron;min-, light; see leuk- in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more luminous, superlative most luminous)
From Latin luminosus.