- Uncertainty is defined as doubt.
- When you feel as if you are not sure if you want to take a new job or not, this is an example of uncertainty.
- When the economy is going bad and causing everyone to worry about what will happen next, this is an example of an uncertainty.
uncertainty definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- lack of certainty; doubt
- pl. uncertainties something uncertain
Origin: Middle English uncerteynte
uncertainty definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun pl. un·cer·tain·ties
- The condition of being uncertain; doubt.
- Something uncertain: the uncertainties of modern life.
- Statistics The estimated amount or percentage by which an observed or calculated value may differ from the true value.