- Elongate is defined as to grow or stretch longer, or make something longer.
- When you use Photoshop to make a picture longer than it is wide, this is an example of when you elongate the picture.
- When you stretch out a music note you are signing, this is an example of when youelongate.
An elongated dollar bill.
elongate definition by Webster's New World
Origin: ; from Late Latin elongatus, past participle of elongare, to prolong ; from Classical Latin e-, out plush longus, long
- lengthened; stretched
- Bot. long and narrow: said as of certain leaves
elongate definition by American Heritage Dictionary
tr. & intr.v. e·lon·gat·ed, e·lon·gat·ing, e·lon·gates
- Made longer; extended.
- Having more length than width; slender.
Origin: Late Latin ēlongāre, ēlongāt-; see eloign.