- an elongating or being elongated; lengthening; extension
- something elongated; lengthened part; continuation
- the angular distance in degrees of a planet or the moon from the sun, as viewed from the earth
Origin of elongationMiddle English elongacioun from Medieval Latin elongatio
- The act of elongating or the condition of being elongated.
- Something that elongates; an extension.
- Astronomy The angular distance between two celestial bodies as seen from a third body, typically Earth.
- The act of lengthening, or the state of being lengthened; protraction; extension.
- That which lengthens out; continuation.
- The ratio of the extension of a material to the length of the material prior to stretching.
- Removal to a distance; withdrawal; a being at a distance; distance.
- The angular distance of a planet from the sun; as, the elongation of Venus or Mercury.