- Hoped is defined as to have wanted or expected something.
An example of hoped is to have wanted someone to come to the party.
Variant of hope
- a feeling that what is wanted is likely to happen; desire accompanied by expectation
- the thing that one has a hope for
- a reason for hope
- a person or thing on which one may base some hope
- Archaic trust; reliance
Origin: Middle English from Old English hopa, akin to Dutch hoop; see the verb
- to have hope; want and expect: I hope to be there by 5:00
- to want very much: I hope that your sick dog will recover
Origin: ME hopen < OE hopian, to expect, look for, akin to Ger hoffen < ? same IE base as hop: orig. sense (?) “to leap up in expectation”
- to have hope (for)
- Archaic to trust or rely
- hoper noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.