- Upbeat means cheerful and lively.
An example of an upbeat person is someone who is constantly full of life.
- The definition of an upbeat is an upward trend, or an unaccented beat in a song.
- An example of upbeat is a consistently higher-priced housing market.
- An example of upbeat is a signal to an orchestra to play an unaccented beat.
- an upward trend; upswing
- an unaccented beat, esp. when on the last note of a bar
- the upward stroke of a conductor's hand or baton indicating such a beat
Informal lively; cheerful; optimistic
- An unaccented beat or beats that occur before the first beat of a measure. Also called anacrusis . Also called pickup .
- The upward stroke made by a conductor to indicate the beat that leads into a new measure.
- Optimistic: an upbeat business forecast.
- Happy; cheerful.
(comparative more upbeat, superlative most upbeat)
up- +"Ž beat