- of or on the right-hand side
- Obsolete auspicious because seen on the right
- Heraldry on the right-hand side of a shield (the left as seen by the viewer)
Origin: Classical Latin dexter, right, to the right ; from Indo-European an unverified form des- ; from base an unverified form de-, to take: see decent
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Of or located on the right side.
- Heraldry Situated on or being the side of a shield on the wearer's right and the observer's left.
- Obsolete Auspicious; favorable.
Origin: Latin; see deks- in Indo-European roots.
dexter - Medical Definition