- The definition of an auspice is a show of support or advocacy.
An example of an auspice is the support of the Democratic National Committee for the Democratic presidential candidate.
- Auspice is defined as an omen or prophecy.
- An example of an auspice is birds flying in certain patterns.
- An example of someone who make an auspice is a prophet.
- a watching for omens in the flight of birds; divination
- an omen, esp. a favorable one
- approval and support; guiding sponsorship; patronage: a plan under government auspices
Origin: French ; from Classical Latin auspicium, omen ; from auspex, auspex
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun pl. aus·pi·ces
- also auspices Protection or support; patronage.
- A sign indicative of future prospects; an omen: Auspices for the venture seemed favorable.
- Observation of and divination from the actions of birds.
Origin: Latin auspicium, bird divination, auspices, from auspex, auspic-, bird augur; see awi- in Indo-European roots.