- A native or inhabitant of Australia.
- a. An Australian shepherd.b. A dog of a breed developed in Australia, such as an Australian cattle dog.
Origin of AussieAus(tralian) + –y3.
- (colloquial) An Australian.
- (colloquial) An Australian Shepherd.
- (colloquial) Australia.
(not generally comparable, comparative more Aussie, superlative most Aussie)
- The term is occasionally used, mostly by non-Australians, to refer to the country of Australia (for example, “back in Aussie”). This usage is very rare amongst Australians, who are more likely to use the term Oz. Sporting chants, such as “Aussie! Aussie! Aussie!” and “Come on, Aussie, come on!”, refer to the person, rather than the country. (Perhaps confusingly, they are used when cheering the country would be appropriate).