- The definition of impromptu is something done without advance thought or without a plan.
When everyone gets together and decides to throw a party at the spur of the moment, this is an example of animpromptu party.
impromptu definition by Webster's New World
Origin: French ; from Classical Latin in promptu, in readiness ; from in, in plush promptu, ablative of promptus, readiness ; from promptus, brought out, ready, prompt
impromptu definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Prompted by the occasion rather than being planned in advance: an impromptu party.
- Spoken, performed, done, or composed with little or no preparation; extemporaneous: a few impromptu remarks. See Synonyms at extemporaneous.
- Something, such as a speech, that is made or done extemporaneously.
- Music A short composition, especially for the piano, performed in an offhand or extemporized style.
Origin: French, from Latin in prōmptū, at hand : in, in; see in-2 + prōmptū, ablative of prōmptus, readiness, from past participle of prōmere, to bring forth; see prompt.
impromptu - Computer Definition
A Windows query and reporting tool from Cognos with support for a large variety of databases. It is capable of generating cross tabs for spreadsheets such as Excel, Lotus for Windows and Quattro Pro for Windows.