Origin of impromptuFrench from Classical Latin in promptu, in readiness from in, in + promptu, ablative of promptus, readiness from promptus, brought out, ready, prompt
When everyone gets together and decides to throw a party at the spur of the moment, this is an example of animpromptu party.
- Prompted by the occasion rather than being planned in advance: an impromptu party.
- Spoken, performed, done, or composed with little or no preparation; extemporaneous: a few impromptu remarks.
- Something, such as a speech, that is made or done extemporaneously.
- Music A short composition, especially for the piano, performed in an offhand or extemporized style.
Origin of impromptuFrench from Latin in prōmptū at hand in in ; see in- 2. prōmptū ablative of prōmptus readiness from past participle of prōmere to bring forth ; see prompt .
- (music) a short musical composition for an informal occasion often with the character of improvisation and usually to be played solo.
- any composition, musical or otherwise, that is created on the spot without preparation.
impromptu - Computer Definition
A Windows query and reporting tool from Cognos with support for a large variety of databases. It is capable of generating cross tabs for spreadsheets such as Excel, Lotus for Windows and Quattro Pro for Windows.
- You can even wear one with your bikini bottoms to swim in; just make sure you wear a swimsuit under it if your tank top is white, or you could find yourself taking part in an impromptu wet T-shirt competition!
- Fashion-forward parents around the globe can now make like Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt as they take their little ones in hand, and jaunt off to the park for an impromptu family picnic.
- The Super Bowl game, a weekend barbecue, an impromptu girls' night out and other informal festivities don't require traditional invitations and announcements.
- This person will start to drink during impromptu times such as early in the morning, while on a break at work or at night during normal sleeping hours because he or she has started losing control.
- The dance became incredibly popular, spreading through the working class to the point where street barrel organs would inspire impromptu dances in the slums of the Argentinian melting pot.