Origin of impromptuFrench from Classical Latin in promptu, in readiness from in, in + promptu, ablative of promptus, readiness from promptus, brought out, ready, prompt
When everyone gets together and decides to throw a party at the spur of the moment, this is an example of animpromptu party.
- Prompted by the occasion rather than being planned in advance: an impromptu party.
- Spoken, performed, done, or composed with little or no preparation; extemporaneous: a few impromptu remarks.
- Something, such as a speech, that is made or done extemporaneously.
- Music A short composition, especially for the piano, performed in an offhand or extemporized style.
Origin of impromptuFrench from Latin in prōmptū at hand in in ; see in- 2. prōmptū ablative of prōmptus readiness from past participle of prōmere to bring forth ; see prompt .
- (music) a short musical composition for an informal occasion often with the character of improvisation and usually to be played solo.
- any composition, musical or otherwise, that is created on the spot without preparation.
impromptu - Computer Definition
A Windows query and reporting tool from Cognos with support for a large variety of databases. It is capable of generating cross tabs for spreadsheets such as Excel, Lotus for Windows and Quattro Pro for Windows.
- You can even wear one with your bikini bottoms to swim in; just make sure you wear a swimsuit under it if your tank top is white, or you could find yourself taking part in an impromptu wet T-shirt competition!
- The dance became incredibly popular, spreading through the working class to the point where street barrel organs would inspire impromptu dances in the slums of the Argentinian melting pot.
- Fashion-forward parents around the globe can now make like Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt as they take their little ones in hand, and jaunt off to the park for an impromptu family picnic.
- Some popular styles are more often seen in international competitions such as ballroom competitions, whereas other styles are more likely to be seen during impromptu dances in Brazil.
- It may not seem like much, but if you've ever been invited to an impromptu game of beach volleyball, you know the importance of wearing a swimsuit that stays in place!