- The definition of a jest is a joke or teasing remark.
An example of jest is what a comedian does.
- Jest is defined as to joke or tease.
An example of jest is to playfully make fun of a friend.
- Obs. a notable deed
- a mocking or bantering remark; jibe; taunt
- a joke; witticism
- a lighthearted action or mood; fun; joking
- something to be laughed at or joked about
Origin of jestMiddle English geste from OFr, an exploit, tale of exploits from Classical Latin gesta, neuter plural past participle of gerere, to perform, carry out
- to jeer; mock
- to be playful in speech and actions; joke
- A playful or frivolous mood or manner: spoken in jest.
- A playful remark; a witticism or joke.
- A playful or amusing act; a prank.
- An object of ridicule; a laughingstock: “There are people … so cruel as to make a jest of me” ( Charles Dickens )
intransitive verbjest·ed, jest·ing, jests
- To make witty or amusing remarks.
- To act in a playful or facetious manner.
Origin of jestMiddle English geste tale from Old French from Latin gesta deeds from neuter pl. past participle of gerere to perform
(third-person singular simple present jests, present participle jesting, simple past and past participle jested)