- The definition of a jest is a joke or teasing remark.
An example of jest is what a comedian does.
- Jest is defined as to joke or tease.
An example of jest is to playfully make fun of a friend.
jest definition by Webster's New World
- Obsolete a notable deed
- a mocking or bantering remark; jibe; taunt
- a joke; witticism
- a lighthearted action or mood; fun; joking
- something to be laughed at or joked about
Origin: Middle English geste ; from Old French an exploit, tale of exploits ; from Classical Latin gesta, neuter plural past participle of gerere, to perform, carry out
- to jeer; mock
- to be playful in speech and actions; joke
jest definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A playful or amusing act; a prank. See Synonyms at joke.
- A frolicsome or frivolous mood: spoken in jest.
- An object of ridicule; a laughingstock.
- A witty remark.
- To act or speak playfully.
- To make witty remarks.
- To utter scoffs; gibe.
Origin: Middle English geste, tale, from Old French, from Latin gesta, deeds, from neuter pl. past participle of gerere, to perform.
- jestˈing·ly adverb