- The definition of a jest is a joke or teasing remark.
An example of jest is what a comedian does.
- Jest is defined as to joke or tease.
An example of jest is to playfully make fun of a friend.
- Obsolete a notable deed
- a mocking or bantering remark; jibe; taunt
- a joke; witticism
- a lighthearted action or mood; fun; joking
- something to be laughed at or joked about
Origin of jestMiddle English geste ; from Old French an exploit, tale of exploits ; from Classical Latin gesta, neuter plural past participle of gerere, to perform, carry out
- to jeer; mock
- to be playful in speech and actions; joke
- A playful or frivolous mood or manner: spoken in jest.
- A playful remark; a witticism or joke.
- A playful or amusing act; a prank.
- An object of ridicule; a laughingstock: “There are people &ellipsis; so cruel as to make a jest of me” (Charles Dickens).
intransitive verbjest·ed, jest·ing, jests
- To make witty or amusing remarks.
- To act in a playful or facetious manner.
Origin of jestMiddle English geste, tale, from Old French, from Latin gesta, deeds, from neuter pl. past participle of gerere, to perform.
(third-person singular simple present jests, present participle jesting, simple past and past participle jested)
- jets, Jets