A group displays gaiety at a party.
- Cheerful festivities and celebrations are an example of gaiety.
- A state of happiness is an example of gaiety.
- the state or quality of being gay (); cheerfulness
- pl. -·ties merrymaking; festivity
- finery; showy brightness
Origin of gaietyFrench gaieté
nounpl. gai·e·ties also gay·e·ties
- A state of joyful exuberance or merriment; vivacity.
- Merry or joyful activity; festivity: making preparations for the holiday gaieties.
- Bright color or showiness, as of dress; finery.
Origin of gaietyFrench gaieté, from Old French, from gai, cheerful; see gay.
(countable and uncountable, plural gaieties)
- (uncountable) The state of being happy.
- There was much gaiety at the ball.
- The decorations added greatly to the gaiety of the room.
- (countable) Merrymaking or festivity.