- Gaiety is defined as a state or feeling of being happy or cheerful, or it refers to entertainments, amusements or light-hearted fun.
- Cheerful festivities and celebrations are an example of gaiety.
- A state of happiness is an example of gaiety.
A group displays gaiety at a party.
gaiety definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- the state or quality of being gay (); cheerfulness
- pl. gaieties merrymaking; festivity
- finery; showy brightness
Origin: French gaieté
gaiety definition by American Heritage Dictionary
also gay·e·tynoun pl. gai·e·ties also gay·e·ties
- A state of joyful exuberance or merriment; vivacity.
- Merry or joyful activity; festivity: making preparations for the holiday gaieties.
- Bright color or showiness, as of dress; finery.
Origin: French gaieté, from Old French, from gai, cheerful; see gay.