- The quality of being genial
- Sometimes this throat uttered Yes, sometimes it uttered No; sometimes it made inquiries about a time worn denizen of the place. Once it surprised her notions by remarking upon the friendliness and geniality written in the faces of the hills around. — Thomas Hardy, Return of the Native, Chapter 3.
Variant of genial
- Obsolete of marriage or procreation
- promoting life and growth; pleasantly warm, mild, and healthful: a genial climate
- cheerful, friendly, and sympathetic; amiable
- Rare of or characterized by genius
Origin of genialClassical Latin genialis, of generation or birth ; from genius, guardian deity: see genius