- any of various hawks, esp. an accipiter, that prey, or are reputed to prey, on barnyard fowl
- Slang an adult male who seeks out boys or young men for sexual activity
Origin of chicken hawkchicken (noun or adjective) + hawk (noun)Slang a person, esp. a politician, who avidly supports his country's military action but has avoided military service himself in the past: term of contempt used to imply hypocrisy or cowardice
The red-tail is also known as a chicken hawk.
- An example of a chicken hawk is the cartoon character Foghorn Leghorn.
- An example of a chicken hawk is a pedophile.
The definition of a chicken hawk is a predatory bird that hunts and eats barnyard animals like chickens, or is slang for a man who looks for young boys as sexual partners.
- Any of various hawks that prey on or have the reputation of preying on chickens.
- often chick·en·hawk Informal A person, especially a public figure, who favors military force or action to carry out a foreign policy but has never served in the military.
- Vulgar Slang A man who seeks out boys or young men as his sexual partners.
(plural chicken hawks)
- (archaic, zoology) Any of the North American hawk species (Cooper's hawk, sharp-shinned hawk and red-tailed hawk), or counterparts elsewhere, mistakenly believed to be pests.
- (UK, US, gay slang) An adult male preferring younger male sexual partners.
- (pejorative, politics, slang) An advocate of war or military action who is avoiding personal military service, or avoided it in the past.