- The definition of a salutation is a greeting.
- An example of a salutation is when you write "Dear Dean.." at the top of a letter.
- An example of a salutation is when you say a formal hello to someone.
- the act of greeting, addressing, or welcoming by gestures or words
- a form of words serving as a greeting or, esp., as the opening of a letter, as “Dear Sir”
Origin of salutationMiddle English salutacion ; from Middle French ; from Classical Latin salutatio ; from salutatus, past participle of salutare: see salute
- a. A polite expression of greeting or goodwill.b. salutations Greetings indicating respect and affection; regards.
- A gesture of greeting, such as a bow or kiss.
- A word or phrase of greeting used to begin a letter or message.