- The definition of a salve is an ointment or creamy medicine used to heal or sooth a wound or burn, or something that heals.
- A burn cream that speeds the healing of burnt skin is an example of a salve.
- A city-wide program that helps reduce hunger is an example of a salve.
- Salve is to sooth or heal using an ointment, or to give relief.
- Spreading a burn cream on sunburn is an example of salve.
- A person speaking about a plan that makes a community feel safe and understood is an example of salve.
A person puts salve on their foot.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- any medicinal ointment applied to wounds, skin irritations, burns, etc. for purposes of soothing or healing
- anything that soothes or heals; balm: a salve for one's conscience
Origin: Middle English from Old English sealf, akin to German salbe from Indo-European base an unverified form selp-, fat, butter from source Sanskrit sarpis-, melted butter
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- An analgesic or medicinal ointment.
- Something that soothes or heals; a balm.
- Flattery or commendation.
- To soothe or heal with or as if with salve.
- To ease the distress or agitation of; assuage: salved my conscience by apologizing.
Origin: Middle English, from Old English sealf.
transitive verb salved salved, salv·ing, salves
Origin: Back-formation from salvage or salvable.
- salˈvor noun
salve - Medical Definition
- salve verb