- To dislike heavy metal music is an example of despise.
- To hate your noisy neighbor so much that you ignore her is an example of despise.
The definition of despise is to strongly dislike, or to treat with scorn.
transitive verbdespised, despising
- to look down on with contempt and scorn
- to regard with dislike or repugnance
Origin of despiseMiddle English despisen ; from Old French despis-, stem of despirer ; from Classical Latin despicere, to look down upon, despise ; from de, down, from + specere, to look at: see spectacle
transitive verbde·spised, de·spis·ing, de·spis·es
- To regard with contempt or scorn: despised all cowards and flatterers.
- To dislike intensely; loathe: despised the frigid weather in January.
Origin of despiseMiddle English despisen, from Old French despire, despis-, from Latin dēspicere : dē-, de- + specere, to look; see spek- in Indo-European roots.
(third-person singular simple present despises, present participle despising, simple past and past participle despised)