- To dislike heavy metal music is an example of despise.
- To hate your noisy neighbor so much that you ignore her is an example of despise.
The definition of despise is to strongly dislike, or to treat with scorn.
transitive verb-·spised′, -·spis′ing
- to look down on with contempt and scorn
- to regard with dislike or repugnance
Origin of despiseMiddle English despisen from Old French despis-, stem of despirer from Classical Latin despicere, to look down upon, despise from de, down, from + specere, to look at: see spectacle
transitive verbde·spised, de·spis·ing, de·spis·es
- To regard with contempt or scorn: despised all cowards and flatterers.
- To dislike intensely; loathe: despised the frigid weather in January.
Origin of despiseMiddle English despisen from Old French despire despis- from Latin dēspicere dē- de- specere to look ; see spek- in Indo-European roots.
(third-person singular simple present despises, present participle despising, simple past and past participle despised)