- The definition of despise is to strongly dislike, or to treat with scorn.
- To dislike heavy metal music is an example of despise.
- To hate your noisy neighbor so much that you ignore her is an example of despise.
- to look down on with contempt and scorn
- to regard with dislike or repugnance
Origin: Middle English despisen ; from Old French despis-, stem of despirer ; from Classical Latin despicere, to look down upon, despise ; from de, down, from plush specere, to look at: see spectacle
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
transitive verb de·spised, de·spis·ing, de·spis·es
- To regard with contempt or scorn: despised all cowards and flatterers.
- To dislike intensely; loathe: despised the frigid weather in January.
- To regard as unworthy of one's interest or concern: despised any thought of their own safety.
Origin: Middle English despisen, from Old French despire, despis-, from Latin dēspicere : dē-, de- + specere, to look; see spek- in Indo-European roots.
- de·spisˈal noun
- de·spisˈer noun