- Appreciate is when the price of something goes up.
A savings account that earns interest is an example of a savings account that will appreciate over time.
- The definition of appreciate is to know and accept the value of something.
To admire the work of Picasso is an example of appreciate.
- Appreciate is defined as being grateful to someone.
An example of appreciate is if someone helps you move and you thank them for their help.
- to think well of; understand and enjoy; esteem
- to recognize and be grateful for; be thankful for
- to estimate the quality or worth of, esp. favorably
- to be fully or sensitively aware of; notice with discrimination
- ☆ to raise the price or value of
Origin: ; from Ecclesiastical Late Latin appretiatus, past participle of appretiare, appraise
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
verb ap·pre·ci·at·ed, ap·pre·ci·at·ing, ap·pre·ci·ates verb, transitive
- To recognize the quality, significance, or magnitude of: appreciated their freedom.
- To be fully aware of or sensitive to; realize: I appreciate your problems.
- To be thankful or show gratitude for: I really appreciate your help.
- To admire greatly; value.
- To raise in value or price, especially over time.
Origin: Late Latin appretiāre, appretiāt-, to appraise; see appraise.
- ap·preˈci·aˌtor noun
- ap·preˈcia·toˌry adjective