- simple past tense and past participle of despise
- The little boy loved peas but despised spinach.
(comparative more despised, superlative most despised)
- Hated; viewed with scorn.
- The dictator's cruelty made him the most despised person in the region.
Variant of despise
transitive verbdespised, despising
- to look down on with contempt and scorn
- to regard with dislike or repugnance
Origin of despiseMiddle English despisen ; from Old French despis-, stem of despirer ; from Classical Latin despicere, to look down upon, despise ; from de, down, from + specere, to look at: see spectacle