(comparative more repellently, superlative most repellently)
- In a repelling manner.
- The gourmet 'treat' glistened repellently. I wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot chopstick.
Variant of repellent
- that repels; pushing away or driving back
- causing distaste, dislike, or aversion; repulsive
- causing insects, etc. to react by staying away
- able to resist the absorption of liquid, esp. water, to a limited extent: a water-repellent raincoat
Origin of repellentClassical Latin repellens
something that repels; specif.,
- a solution applied to fabric to make it water-repellent
- any substance used to repel insects