- The definition of a buffoon is a clown or someone who is always trying to be funny.
The class clown who is always making everyone laugh is an example of a buffoon.
Two people acting like buffoons.
Origin of buffoonFrench bouffon ; from Italian buffone, jester ; from buffare, to jest, puff: of echoic origin, originally
- A clown; a jester: a court buffoon.
- A person given to clowning and joking.
- A ludicrous or bumbling person; a fool.
Origin of buffoonFrench bouffon, from Old Italian buffone, from buffa, jest, from buffare, to puff, of imitative origin.
- In the United States the term is used most commonly to describe inappropriate, clownish figures on the public stage; here the behavior of a variety of public figures have caused them to be described as buffoons by their political opponents.
- In the UK the term is used more broadly, to describe such people who are held in popular regard but who nevertheless engender amusement with their pronouncements and acts.
(third-person singular simple present buffoons, present participle buffooning, simple past and past participle buffooned)
- To behave like a buffoon
From Middle French bouffon, from Italian buffone (“jester”), from buffare (“to puff out the cheeks”)