- Prophecy is a vision of the future or prediction for the future.
When a fortune teller sees the future, this is an example of a prophecy.
- prediction of the future under the influence of divine guidance; act or practice of a prophet
- any prediction
- something prophesied or predicted; specif., the divinely inspired utterance or utterances of a prophet
- a book of prophecies
Origin of prophecyMiddle English prophecie ; from Old French ; from Ecclesiastical Late Latin prophetia ; from Classical Greek prophētēia (in New Testament , gift of speaking under the influence of the Holy Spirit) ; from prophētēs: see prophet
- a. An inspired utterance of a prophet, viewed as a revelation of divine will.b. A prediction of the future, made under divine inspiration.c. Such an inspired message or prediction transmitted orally or in writing.
- The vocation or condition of a prophet.
- A prediction.
Origin of prophecyMiddle English prophecie, from Old French, from Latin prophētīa, from Greek prophēteia, from prophētēs, prophet; see prophet.