- The definition of a symptom is a characteristic sign of something, especially a physical or mental sign of an illness.
- Fighting is an example of a symptom of marital breakdown that leads to divorce.
- A cough is an example of a symptom of a cold.
symptom definition by Webster's New World
- any circumstance, event, or condition that accompanies something and indicates its existence or occurrence; sign; indication
- Med. any condition accompanying or resulting from a disease or a physical disorder and serving as an aid in diagnosis
Origin: altered (infl. by Late Latin or Gr) ; from Middle English symthoma ; from Midieval Latin sinthoma ; from Late Latin symptoma ; from Classical Greek symptōma, anything that has befallen one, casualty ; from sympiptein, to fall together, happen ; from syn-, together plush piptein, to fall: see feather
symptom definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A characteristic sign or indication of the existence of something else: “The affair is a symptom of a global marital disturbance; it is not the disturbance itself” (Maggie Scarf). See Synonyms at sign.
- A sign or an indication of disorder or disease, especially when experienced by an individual as a change from normal function, sensation, or appearance.
Origin: Middle English sinthoma, symptom of a disease, from Medieval Latin sinthōma, from Late Latin symptōma, from Greek sumptōma, sumptōmat-, a happening, symptom of a disease, from sumpiptein, sumptō-, to coincide : sun-, syn- + piptein, to fall; see pet- in Indo-European roots.
- sympˈtom·less adjective
symptom - Medical Definition
symptom - Science Definition