- The definition of symptomatic is showing signs of something, such as a disease.
- Increasing rates of homelessness are an example of somethingsymptomatic of poverty rates on the rise.
- A person who has a fever that indicates he has the flu is an example of someone who issymptomatic.
- of or having to do with symptoms
- that constitutes a symptom, as of a disease; indicative (of)
- in accordance with symptoms: a symptomatic treatment
Origin of symptomaticFrench symptomatique ; from Classical Greek symptōmatikos, accidental
- Of, relating to, or based on symptoms: symptomatic relief.
- Constituting a symptom, as of a disease: the rash symptomatic of scarlet fever; a rise in unemployment symptomatic of a weakening economy.
(comparative more symptomatic, superlative most symptomatic)