- An example of a diagnostic test is an emissions test on a car.
- An example of diagnostic is a symptom that is characteristic of a particular disease and that helps doctors to recognize that illness.
The definition of diagnostic is something related to the identification of a problem or disease.
- of or constituting a diagnosis
- of value for a diagnosis; specif., characteristic
- Comput. of or having to do with the use of computer diagnostics
Origin of diagnosticMedieval Latin diagnosticus from Classical Greek diagn?stikos
- [usually pl., with sing. v.] the art, science, or method of diagnosis, esp. medical diagnosis
- a distinguishing sign or symptom; characteristic
- Comput. a routine for testing a piece of hardware or for locating an error in a program
- Of, relating to, or used in a diagnosis.
- Serving to identify a particular disease; characteristic.
- often diagnostics used with a sing. verb The art or practice of medical diagnosis.
- A symptom or a distinguishing feature serving as supporting evidence in a diagnosis.
- An instrument or technique used in medical diagnosis.
Origin of diagnosticGreek diagnōstikos able to distinguish from diagnōstos distinguished from diagignōskein to distinguish ; see diagnosis .
(comparative more diagnostic, superlative most diagnostic)