- The definition of a lawyer is someone who gives legal advice and represents people in legal matters.
An example of a lawyer is John Grisham.
A lawyer talks with his client.
Origin of lawyerMiddle English lawyere: see law and amp; -ier
Origin of lawyerMiddle English lauier, from law, law; see Law .
(third-person singular simple present lawyers, present participle lawyering, simple past and past participle lawyered)
- (informal) To practice law.
- To perform, or attempt to perform, the work of a lawyer.
- To make legalistic arguments.
- With "up", to acquire the services of a lawyer.
- (colloquial, criminal law) With "up", to exercise the right to ask for the presence of one's attorney.
- To barrage with questions in order to get the person to admit something, usually used in the past tense "[You've been] lawyered."
- lawyer up