- The definition of a counselor is a person who is specifically trained to provide advice, or a person you turn to for advice.
An example of counselor is a professional who you go to in order to talk about your problems and to learn solutions for coping with stress or sadness.
counselor definition by Webster's New World
- a person who counsels; advisor; specif., one who advises students or clients regarding educational and occupational alternatives, personal problems, etc.
- a legal advisor, as of an embassy or legation
- a lawyer, esp. one who conducts cases in courtin full counselor-at-law
- a person in charge of a group of children at a camp
- Mormon Ch. one of the advisors to a presiding officer
Origin: Middle English counseilere ; from Old French consellier ; from Classical Latin consiliator
counselor definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A person who gives counsel; an adviser.
- An attorney, especially a trial lawyer.
- A person who supervises young people at a summer camp. See Usage Note at council.
- counˈse·lor·shipˌ noun