A casual handyman who does some projects at home but who is not a professional is an example of a layman.
- a member of the laity; person not a member of the clergy
- a person not belonging to or skilled in a given profession: a medical textbook not for the layman
Origin of laymanlay + man
- One who is not a cleric.
- One who is a nonprofessional in a given field. technical language that is hard for the layman to understand. See Usage Note at man.
- layperson, someone who is not an ordained cleric or member of the clergy
- by analogy, someone who is not a professional in a given field
- Carmen is not a professional anthropologist, but strictly a layman.
- Let me explain it to you in layman's terms.
- a common person
- a person who is untrained or lacks knowledge of a subject
- a generally ignorant person
- lay-sister or lay-brother, person received into a convent of monks, following the vows, but not being member of the order