- The definition of esoteric is something only understood by a chosen group.
An example of esoteric is pa++ern, an embroidery language.
esoteric definition by Webster's New World
- intended for or understood by only a chosen few, as an inner group of disciples or initiates: said of ideas, literature, etc.
- beyond the understanding or knowledge of most people; abstruse
- confidential; private; withheld: an esoteric plan
Origin: Classical Greek esōterikos ; from esōteros, inner, comparative of esō, within ; from es, eis, into
- esoterically adverb
esoteric definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. Intended for or understood by only a particular group: an esoteric cult. See Synonyms at mysterious.b. Of or relating to that which is known by a restricted number of people.
- a. Confined to a small group: esoteric interests.b. Not publicly disclosed; confidential.
Origin: Greek esōterikos, from esōterō, comparative of esō, within; see en in Indo-European roots.
- esˌo·terˈi·cal·ly adverb