The definition of a trustee is a person or a member of a board given control over the property or affairs of another.
A person who manages an inheritance left for a child and who distributes the money to the child is an example of a trustee.
- a person to whom another's property or the management of another's property is entrusted
- a nation under whose authority a trust territory is placed
- any of a group or board of persons appointed to manage the affairs of an institution or organization
- in some U.S. states, a person in whose hands the property of a debtor is attached by means of garnishment; garnishee
transitive verb-·eed′, -·ee′ing
- to commit (property or management) to a trustee or trustees
- to attach by means of garnishment
- Law The person in a trust relationship who holds title to property for the benefit of another.
- A member of a board elected or appointed to direct the funds and policy of an institution.
- A country responsible for supervising a trust territory. See Usage Note at -ee1.
verbtrus·teed, trus·tee·ing, trus·tees
To place (property) in the care of a trustee.
To function or serve as a trustee.
- A person to whom property is legally committed in trust, to be applied either for the benefit of specified individuals, or for public uses; one who is intrusted with property for the benefit of another; also, a person in whose hands the effects of another are attached in a trustee process.
- To commit (property) to the care of a trustee; as, to trustee an estate.
- To attach (a debtor's wages, credits, or property in the hands of a third person) in the interest of the creditor.
trustee - Computer Definition
trustee - Investment & Finance Definition
- A person who has been appointed by a court to handle the issues outlined in a legal action. For example, in a bankruptcy proceeding, the judge appoints a trustee who is responsible for such things as liquidating assets and disbursing the proceeds to the creditor.
- A person who administers a trust. See also trust.
- A group or board of people who have been appointed to manage the affiars of an institution, such as a university.
trustee - Legal Definition
Someone who holds title in trust for the benefit of another person and who owes fiduciary responsibility to that beneficiary. Also used loosely to refer to anyone acting as guardian or fiduciary with respect to another person.bankruptcy trustee
A court officer appointed by a judge or elected by creditors to act as the representative of a bankruptcy estate.