- The definition of fiduciary is anything related to holding something in trust for another person.
An example of fiduciary is the responsibility of a banker to safeguard the depositor's money.
- Fiduciary is defined as a person who holds something to protect it for someone else or who holds a special relationship of responsibility.
An example of fiduciary is a child's legal guardian.
- designating or of a person who holds something in trust for another; of a trustee or trusteeship: a fiduciary guardian for a minor child
- held in trust: fiduciary property
- valuable only because of public confidence and support: said of certain money
Origin of fiduciaryClassical Latin fiduciarius from fiducia, trust, thing held in trust from fidere, to trust: see faith
- a. Of or relating to a duty of acting in good faith with regard to the interests of another: a company's fiduciary responsibility to investors.b. Of or being a trustee or trusteeship.c. Held in trust.
- Of or consisting of fiat money.
- Of, relating to, or being a system of marking in the field of view of an optical instrument that is used as a reference point or measuring scale.
Origin of fiduciaryLatin fīdūciārius from fīdūcia trust ; see fiducial .
(comparative more fiduciary, superlative most fiduciary)
From Latin fīdūciārius (“held in trust”), from fidūcia (“trust”).
fiduciary - Investment & Finance Definition
A person who is entrusted to manage financial assets, matters, and prop-erty for a beneficiary’s benefit. People who are fiduciaries have a fiduciary trust that requires actions taken on behalf of the beneficiary benefit that person and not result in misappropriating funds or making decisions for the fiduciary’s benefit. Many people have fiduciary responsibilities, including money managers and administrators of wills and estates.
fiduciary - Legal Definition
- An individual owing another a legal duty of care and good faith in the management of a business, money, or property; for example, a corporate officer or the executor of a will.
- adj. Descriptive of a relationship that confers special higher responsibilities. See fiduciary relationship.