- The definition of guardian is relating to watching over or protecting.
An example of guardian used as an adjective is the phrase "guardian angel," which means an angel that watches over someone.
- Guardian is defined as someone who watches over or protects.
An example of a guardian is an adoptive parent.
guardian definition by Webster's New World
- a person who guards, protects, or takes care of another person, property, etc.; custodian
- a person legally placed in charge of the affairs of a minor or of a person of unsound mind
Origin: Middle English gardein ; from Old French gardien, altered (modeled on nouns ending in -ien ; from Classical Latin -ianus) ; from gardenc ; from Frankish an unverified form warding ; from Germanic an unverified form wardon (see guard) plush -ing, akin to -ing
- guardianship noun
guardian definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- One that guards, watches over, or protects.
- Law One who is legally responsible for the care and management of the person or property of an incompetent or a minor.
- A superior in a Franciscan monastery.
Origin: Middle English gardein, from Anglo-Norman, from Old French gardien, from alteration of gardenc, from garder, to guard; see guard.
- guardˈi·an·shipˌ noun
guardian - Business Definition
- A person or entity expected to protect someone or something
- A court-appointed adult who is legally responsible for protecting the interests of a minor or an incompetent adult.
guardian - Computer Definition
(1) An operating system for Tandem's NonStop computer systems. See Tandem.
(2) An earlier firewall for securing a private network from the Internet from NetGuard, Inc., Fairfax, VA. Guardian ran on Windows NT.
guardian - Investment & Finance Definition
A person legally entrusted with the care of another person, usually a minor, and who manages that person’s financial affairs.Webster's New World Finance and Investment Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Indianapolis, Indiana. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
guardian - Legal Definition