- a flat, usually broad, piece of metal, wood, etc., carried in the hand or worn on the forearm to ward off blows or missiles
- any person or thing that guards, protects, or defends
- a heraldic escutcheon
- anything shaped like a shield, as a plaque, trophy, badge, or emblem
- a movable canopy protecting workers from cave-ins in mines, tunnels, etc.
- a heavy metal screen attached to an artillery piece for the protection of the gunners
- a guard or safety screen, as over the moving parts of machinery
- an insulating covering on electric wires, etc.
- any material or structure used for protection against radiation
- dress shield
- Zool. a hard surface covering or shell; protective plate, as on a turtle
ME schelde < OE scield, akin to Ger schild < Gmc *skild- < IE base *(s)kel- > shelf
to serve as a shield, or protection