- The definition of a custodian is a person vested with the responsibility to provide care or maintenance for something such as a building, museum, or financial assets, or a person who is hired to clean and maintain a building.
- A fund manager who is responsible for investing money and assets belonging to investors is an example of a custodian.
- A janitor at a school who cleans the school and performs maintenance work is an example of a custodian.
custodian definition by Webster's New World
- a person who has the custody or care of something, as of a private library; caretaker; keeper
- a person responsible for the care and maintenance of a building
Origin: ; from custody
- custodianship noun
custodian definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- One that has charge of something; a caretaker: the custodian of a minor child's estate; the custodian of an absentee landlord's property.
- A janitor: worked nights as custodian of a high school.
- cus·toˈdi·an·shipˌ noun
custodian - Business Definition
custodian - Investment & Finance Definition
A bank or financial institution that holds stock certificates or other investment documents for individuals, corporations, or mutual funds.