- The definition of caretaker is having power that is not permanent.
An example of caretaker used as an adjective is in the phrase "caretaker director," which means a temporary director.
- Caretaker is defined as a person who tends to someone or something.
An example of a caretaker is a nurse who assists the elderly.
This nurse is acting as caretaker for her elderly patient.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- a person hired to take care of something or someone, esp. of a house, estate, etc. for an owner who is not always in residence; custodian
- a person temporarily carrying out the duties as of an office
- a person who takes care of someone else; often, specif., caregiver
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- One that is employed to look after or take charge of goods, property, or a person; a custodian.
- One that temporarily performs the duties of an office: The government resigned, but the premier served as caretaker until new leaders could be elected.