- The definition of superintendent is in charge of a department, building, or the maintenance.
An example of superintendent used as an adjective is the phrase "superintendent responsibilities," which means the responsibilities of the school custodian.
- Superintendent is defined as a person in charge of a department or institution, or a person such as a custodian who is responsible for the maintenance of a building.
- An example of a superintendent is a Director of Schools.
- An example of a superintendent is the person who makes sure that the school is clean and all required maintence is completed.
- a person in charge of a department, institution, etc.; director; supervisor
- a person responsible for the maintenance of a building; custodian
Origin of superintendentfrom Ecclesiastical Late Latin superintendens, present participle of superintendere, to superintend
- Abbr. Supt. A person who has the authority to supervise or direct.
- A janitor or custodian in a building, especially in an apartment house.
- A person who is authorized to supervise, direct or administer something.
- A police rank used in Commonwealth countries, ranking above chief inspector, and below chief superintendent.
- The manager of a building, usually a communal residence, who is responsible for keeping the facilities functional and often collecting rent or similar payments, either as also the building's landlord or on behalf of same. Often abbreviated "super".
- (chiefly US) A janitor.
- Overseeing; superintending.