The definition of a foreman is a person is who is charge of a project and of supervising other workers, or the person who is named to speak on behalf of the jury.noun
- An example of the foreman is the person who is the head of the construction crew and who tells all the other men what to do.
- An example of the foreman is the person who speaks to the judge on behalf of the jury during a criminal or civil trial.
noun pl. foremen
- the chairman and spokesman of a jury
- a person in charge of a department or group of workers in a factory, mill, etc.
Origin: orig., foremost man, leader
- foremanship noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A man who serves as the leader of a work crew, as in a factory.
- A man who chairs and speaks for a jury.
- foreˈman·shipˌ noun