- The definition of a shepherd is someone who cares for people or animals.
An example of a shepherd is someone who cares for sheep.
- To shepherd is defined as to herd or guide.
An example of to lead a group of people such as minister leads his congregation.
A shepherd with his sheep.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- a person who herds and takes care of sheep
- a leader of a group; esp., a minister
- German shepherd
Origin: Middle English shephirde from Old English sceaphyrde: see sheep and amp; herd
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- One who herds, guards, and tends sheep.
- One who cares for and guides a group of people, as a minister or teacher.
- A German shepherd.
Origin: Middle English shepherde, from Old English scēaphierde : scēap, sheep + hierde, herdsman.