- The definition of quintessential is something that is the typical example of a particular person or characteristic.
An example of the quintessential soccer mom is a mom who drives a mini-van and whose kids play soccer.
quintessential definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- quinˌtes·senˈtial·ly adverb
Variant of quintessence
- in ancient and medieval philosophy, the fifth essence, or ultimate substance, of which the heavenly bodies were thought to be composed: distinguished from the four elements (air, fire, water, and earth)
- the pure, concentrated essence of anything
- the most nearly perfect manifestation of a quality or thing
Origin: Middle English quyntencense ; from Middle French quinte essence ; from Midieval Latin quinta essentia
- quintessential adjective