(comparative more significant, superlative most significant)
- Signifying something; carrying meaning.
- a significant word or sound; a significant look
- Having a covert or hidden meaning.
- Having a noticeable or major effect; notable.
- That was a significant step in the right direction.
- The First World War was a significant event.
- Reasonably large in number or amount.
- (statistics) Having a low probability of occurring by chance (for example, having high correlation and thus likely to be related).
- That which has significance; a sign; a token; a symbol.
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster's Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.
From Latin significans, present participle of significare, from signum, "sign", + ficare, "do" or "make", variant of facere.