The definition of powerful is having a lot of strength, authority or force.
An example of something powerful is a violent storm that knocks down many trees and electrical lines.
- Having or capable of exerting power.
- Effective or potent: a powerful drug.
- Chiefly Upper Southern US Great: “[Everybody had] a powerful lot to say about faith and good works and free grace … and I don't know what all” ( Mark Twain )
adverbChiefly Upper Southern US
Very: It was powerful humid.
(comparative powerfuller or more powerful, superlative powerfullest or most powerful)
- The powerful words made her frown.
- The more powerful the deity, the more restricted.
- And you haven't mated him off to some powerful House?
- You're too powerful now, she replied.
- I knew he was an Ancient --a powerful one --but he wasn't much for talking.