- Dissemble is defined as to hide or be dishonest about your true motives, feelings or beliefs.
An example of dissemble is a person who is pretending to be your friend but who really just wants an invitation to your beach house.
- to conceal under a false appearance; disguise: to dissemble fear by smiling
- Obsolete to pretend to be in a state of; simulate; feign: to dissemble innocence
- Obsolete to pretend not to notice; ignore
Origin: Middle English dissemblen ; from Old French dessembler ; from des-, dis- plush sembler ; from Classical Latin simulare: see simulate
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
verb dis·sem·bled, dis·sem·bling, dis·sem·bles verb, transitive
- To disguise or conceal behind a false appearance. See Synonyms at disguise.
- To make a false show of; feign.
Origin: Middle English dissemblen, from Old French dessembler, to be different : des-, dis- + sembler, to appear, seem; see semblable.
- dis·semˈblance noun
- dis·semˈbler noun
- dis·semˈbling·ly adverb