This man has just heard some eye-opening news.
The definition of an eye opener is something that makes you see a situation or the world differently, that makes you come to a realization or that forces you to change your perspective.
An example of an eye opener is when you visit a foreign country and see real poverty for the first time.
- a surprising piece of news, a sudden realization, etc.
- Informal an alcoholic drink, esp. one taken early in the day
- A startling or shocking revelation.
- A drink of liquor taken to stimulate, especially upon awakening.
- An experience or event that reveals, enlightens, or informs; something that causes learning, revelation, realization, or increased awareness.
- A visit to the slaughterhouse was a real eye-opener to anyone who thought they understood where their food came from.
- An alcoholic beverage consumed first thing in the morning. A euphemism used by those offering or consuming alcohol in the morning.
- As soon as I got on the plane I asked the flight attendant for an eye-opener, but all he had to offer was orange juice.