- The definition of an eye opener is something that makes you see a situation or the world differently, that makes you come to a realization or that forces you to change your perspective.
An example of an eye opener is when you visit a foreign country and see real poverty for the first time.
This man has just heard some eye-opening news.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- a surprising piece of news, sudden realization, etc.
- Informal an alcoholic drink, esp. one taken early in the day
- eye-opening adjective
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A startling or shocking revelation.
- A drink of liquor taken to stimulate, especially upon awakening.