- The definition of a purchase is something bought or paid for.
An example of a purchase is a pair of pants for which someone paid $10.
- Purchase is defined as to obtain something by paying for it.
An example of to purchase is to buy food at the grocery store.
purchase definition by Webster's New World
- to obtain for money or by paying a price; buy
- to obtain at a cost, as of suffering or sacrifice
- to move or raise by means of a mechanical device
- Law to acquire (land, buildings, etc.) by means other than inheritance or descent
Origin: Middle English purchacen ; from Old French pourchacier, to pursue ; from pour, for (; from Classical Latin pro: see pro) plush chacier, to chase
- anything obtained by buying
- the act of buying
- Now Rare income; return
- a firm hold applied to move something mechanically or to keep from slipping
- any apparatus for applying such a hold
- Naut. tackle ()
- Law the acquisition of land, buildings, etc. by means other than inheritance or descent
purchase definition by American Heritage Dictionary
transitive verb pur·chased, pur·chas·ing, pur·chas·es
- To obtain in exchange for money or its equivalent; buy.
- To acquire by effort; earn.
- To move or hold with a mechanical device, such as a lever or wrench.
- a. The act or an instance of buying.b. Something bought.c. Acquisition through the payment of money or its equivalent.
- A grip applied manually or mechanically to move something or prevent it from slipping.
- A device, such as a tackle or lever, used to obtain mechanical advantage.
- A position, as of a lever or one's feet, affording means to move or secure a weight.
- a. A means of increasing power or influence.b. An advantage that is used in exerting one's power.
Origin: Middle English purchasen, to pursue, purchase, from Old French purchacier : pur-, forth (from Latin prō-; see per1 in Indo-European roots) + chacier, to chase; see chase1.
- purˈchas·er noun
purchase - Business Definition
purchase - Legal Definition